Last Spring, my family moved to Eastern Canada. I have to say, overall, it’s gone really well. But then the snow came… And, the snow has stayed. It’s March 1st and there are at least 2 feet of snow outside. Knowing back home the flowers are up and we are nowhere close has got this unrelenting optimist feeling homesick.
I am one of three bloggers hosting the Power of Play 52 challenge. And this week’s prompt is the colour red. It took me a while, but soon the kids and I started making these fine motor flowers. In no time at all, we had several. While it still looks like it’s the dead of winter outside, inside, we have a beautiful faux garden! These flowers are excellent to practice using scissors, fine motor practice, and using a pincer grip! Here are the simple instructions on how to make EASY Fine Motor Flowers.
Easy to Make Fine Motor Flowers
What You need
- 4-6 squares of tissue paper
- Pipe cleaners
What to do
1. Cut tissue paper into squares. Option to choose one colour or multiple colours.
2. Stack all squares together.
3. Fold the stack accordion-style.
4. Fold a pipe cleaner in half and place the folded tissue paper right in the crease of the pipecleaner.
5. Twist the two pieces of the pipe cleaner together, securing the stem of the flower.
6. Take scissors and cut the edges of the folded tissue paper in the shape of an upside down V or anything similar. Uneven, imperfect edges give the flowers a nice dimension.
7. Slowly pull the first layer of tissue paper away from the fold in the pipe cleaner until all of the edges of that piece of paper have been pulled away from the rest of the tissue paper.
[bctt tweet=”These #DIY Fine Motor Flowers are super easy! #PowerofPlay52″]
8. Twist that piece together making a pistil.
9. Then, slowly take each piece of paper away from the rest spreading it out to look flower-like.
If you happen to do this craft, please tag @ParentfromHeart on Instagram or Twitter!
What do you like to do to feel more in touch with Spring?
Like this post? Do me a favour and click the banner below to cast a vote for me 🙂